Jan 2014 - Present Adjunct Professor, International School of Engineering,
Chulalongkorn University, Thailand
Teaching automotive engineering courses
Sep 1999 – Dec 2013 Senior Project Engineer, General Motors Corporation,
Global Simulations Owner (GSO) for HVAC air handling system performance.
Prepared and maintained certain corporate analysis procedures for use in global
engineering centres. Developed pressure based engine cooling circuit 1-D simulations,
CFD prediction of airflow in the cabin interior and air through the vehicle front-end.
June 1998 – Sep 1999 CFD Analyst, Visteon Corporation (Contract),
Provided analysis, synthesis and design improvement on vehicle climate control
applications; Supported business bidding proposals for winning OEM contracts.
June 1997 – April 1998 Assistant Professor, Thammasat University,
Undergraduate teaching: Engineering Dynamics, Fluid Mechanics and Engineering
Drawing.Supervised final year students’ projects, served in university committees
and conducted administrative duties as needed.
May 1994 – May 1997 Postdoctoral Research Associate,
University of Western Australia, Perth
Fundamental and applied research on environmental fluid flows.
Prepared proposals and communicated with funding agencies for opportunities
Dec 1991 – May 1994 Postdoctoral Research Associate,
Arizona State University
Research on environmental fluid flows and undergraduate instruction/teaching.
Designed and fabricated experiments to simulate complex flow situations.
Flow measuring techniques LDV, PIV, LIF, Schlieren techniques, hot wire anemometry.
1999 – 2002 Adjunct Professor, University of Detroit-Mercy
1997 Assistant Professor, Thammasat University
Fluid Dynamics, Dynamics
1990 – 1992 Graduate Assistant, Arizona State University
Dynamics, Mechanics of Solids
1983 – 1984 Assistant Lecturer, University of Moratuwa
Conference & Publications
- De Silva, I.P.D. 2006 Turbulence in stirred jars. Journal of Engineering Mechanics, ASCE, Vol. 132(11), 1260-1268.
- Ivey, G. N., Winters, K. B. and I.P.D. De Silva, 2000 Turbulent mixing in an internal wave energised benthic boundary layer on a slope. Journal of Fluid Mechanics, Vol. 418, 59-76.
- De Silva, I.P.D., Brandt, A., Montenegro, L., & Fernando, H.J.S. 1999 Gradient Richardson number measurements in a stratified shear layer. Dynamics of Atmosphere and Oceans. 30, 47- 63.
- De Silva, I.P.D. & Fernando, H.J.S. 1998 Experiments on collapsing turbulent regions in stratified fluids. Journal of Fluid Mechanics, Vol. 358, 29-60.
- De Silva, I.P.D., Imberger, J. & Ivey, G.N. 1997 Localised mixing due to a breaking internal wave ray at a sloping boundary. Journal of Fluid Mechanics, 350, 1-27.
- De Silva, I.P.D., Fernando, H.J.S., Eaton, F. and Hebert, D. 1996 Kelvin-Helmholtz billows in nature and laboratory. Earth and Planetary Science Letters, 143, 217-231.
- De Silva, I.P.D. & Fernando, H.J.S. 1994 Oscillating grid as a source of nearly-isotropic turbulence. Physics of Fluids, Vol. 6, No 7, 2455-2464.
- Fernando, H.J.S. & De Silva, I.P.D. 1993 Note on secondary flows in oscillating-grid mixing box experiments. Physics of Fluids, Vol. 5, No. 7, 1849-1851.
- De Silva, I.P.D. & Fernando, H.J.S. 1992 Some aspects of mixing in a stratified turbulent patch. Journal of Fluid Mechanics, 240, 601-625.
- De Silva, I.P.D., Montenegro, L.M. & Fernando, H.J.S. 1990 Measurement of interfacial distortions at a stratified entrainment interface. Experiments in Fluids, Vol. 9, 174-177.
- Reddy, T.A., Gordon, J.M. & De Silva, I.P.D. 1987 MIRA: A one repetitive-day method for predicting the long-term performance of solar energy systems. Solar Energy, Vol.39, No. 2,123-133.
Flow-thermal applications in automotive engineering, Environmental fluid mechanics, CFD and 1-D tools
Research papers by Dr. Prabhath De Silva and his ISE students
- De Silva, I.P.D. 2018 " Hofstadter Points for Exterior Angles" Mathematics Magazine. Accepted for Publication.
- Tessathan, T., Thammasiri, C., De Silva, P., Hussain, R., Noomwongs, N. 2017 "Cabin-Ambient Air Exchanges and Their Relation to In-Vehicle CO2 Concentration," SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-1725, 2017, doi:10.4271/2017-01-1725.
- Maytat Luangprasert, Chainarin Vasithamrong, Suphasit Pongratananukul, Sunhapos Chantranuwathana, Suree Pumrin & I.P.D. De Silva 2017
In-vehicle carbon dioxide concentration in commuting cars in Bangkok, Thailand. http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/10962247.2016.1268983
Journal of the Air & Waste Management Association Vol. 67, 5, 623-633. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/10962247.2016.1268983