Dr. Ronnapee Chaichaowarat has been a Lecturer at the International School of Engineering, Chulalongkorn University, since 2018. He was a Postdoctoral Associate at the Department of Mechanical Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, in 2019 – 2020. Granted the Junior Science Talent Project (JSTP) Scholarship from the National Science and Technology Development Agency of Thailand, he received the B.Eng. (1st Class Hons.), M.Eng., and Ph.D., degrees in mechanical engineering from Chulalongkorn University in 2012, 2013, and 2015, respectively. Granted the Japanese Government (MEXT) Scholarship, he received another Ph.D. degree in bioengineering and robotics from Tohoku University in 2018. His research interests include compliant actuation, passive exoskeleton, and vehicle dynamics. He received the best paper award from the 1st International Symposium on Instrumentation, Control, Artificial Intelligence, and Robotics (IEEE ICA-SYMP 2019).
2018 - Present Lecturer, International School of Engineering (ISE),
2019 – 2020 Postdoctoral Associate, Department of Mechanical Engineering,
Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), MA, USA
Research: Improving Forced-based Control for Physical Human–Robot Interaction
Principal Investigator: Hermano Igo Krebs, Ph.D. (IEEE Fellow)
2015 – 2017 Ph.D. (Bioengineering and Robotics), Tohoku University, Japan
Thesis: Passive Knee Exoskeleton Systems for Cycling Assistance
Advisor: Distinguished Prof. Kazuhiro Kosuge, Ph.D. (IEEE Fellow)
2013 – 2014 Ph.D. (Mech. Eng.), Chulalongkorn University, Thailand
Thesis: Motion Analysis of a Planar Mobile Platform with Wheel Slip
Advisor: Assoc. Prof. Witaya Wannasuphoprasit, Ph.D.
2012 – 2012 M. Eng. in Mech., Chulalongkorn University, Thailand
Thesis: Dynamic Control for Steady State Drifting of RWD Vehicle
2008 – 2011 B. Eng. in Mech. (1st Class Honors),
Chulalongkorn University, Thailand
Research: Tire Friction Model for Drifting Dynamics of a Scaled Vehicle
2005 – 2007 Mahidol Wittayanusorn School (MWIT), Thailand
2014 – 2018 Monbukagakusho (MEXT) Scholarship
Granted by the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology, Japan
2005 – 2014 Junior Science Talent Project (JSTP) Scholarship
Granted by the National Science and Technology Development Agency, Thailand
- Signal and Linear Systems (2182204)
- System Modeling and Vibration (2183324)
- Dynamics (2183231)
- Industrial Robot (2147308)
- Robotic Project II (2147213)
- Compliant robots & Elastic actuators
- Wearable robots & Passive exoskeletons
- Autonomous systems e.g., Robots for laboratory applications
- Control of vehicle dynamics
Selected Journal Articles
- R. Chaichaowarat, J. Kinugawa, and K. Kosuge, “Unpowered knee exoskeleton reduces quadriceps activity during cycling,” Engineering, vol. 4, no. 4, pp. 471-478, 2018.
- R. Chaichaowarat and W. Wannasuphoprasit, “Kinematics-based analytical solution for wheel slip angle estimation of a RWD vehicle with drift,” Eng. J., vol. 20, no. 2, pp. 89-107, 2016.
- R. Chaichaowarat and W. Wannasuphoprasit, “Full-slip kinematics based estimation of vehicle yaw rate from differential wheel speeds,” KSAE Int. J. Auto. Tech., vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 81-88, 2016.
- R. Chaichaowarat and W. Wannasuphoprasit, “Linear quadratic optimal regulator for steady state drifting of rear wheel drive vehicle,” J. Robotics and Mechatronics, vol. 27, no. 3, pp. 225-234, 2015.
- R. Chaichaowarat and W. Wannasuphoprasit, “Dynamics and simulation of RWD vehicles drifting at steady state using BNP-MNC tire model,” SAE Int. J. Trans. Safety, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 134-144, 2013.
- R. Chaichaowarat and W. Wannasuphoprasit, “Tire test for drifting dynamics of a scaled vehicle,” TSME J. Research and Applications in Mechanical Engineering, vol. 1, no. 3, pp. 33-39, 2013.
Selected Conference Papers
- R. Chaichaowarat, V. Macha, and W. Wannasuphoprasit, “Passive knee exoskeleton using brake torque to assist stair ascent,” in Proc. 2020 IEEE Region 10 Conf., pp. 1165-1170, 2020.
- S. Nishimura, R. Chaichaowarat, and H. I. Krebs, “Human-robot interaction: controller design and stability,” in Proc. 2020 IEEE RAS/EMBS Int. Conf. Biomedical Robotics and Biomechatronics, pp. 1096-1101, 2020.
- R. Chaichaowarat, J. Kinugawa, A. Seino, and K. Kosuge, “A spring-embedded planetary-geared parallel elastic actuator,” in Proc. 2020 IEEE/ASME Int. Conf. Advanced Intelligent Mechatronics, pp. 952-959, 2020.
- R. Chaichaowarat and W. Wannasuphoprasit, “Wheel slip angle estimation of a planar mobile platform,” in Proc. 1st Int. Symp. Instrumentation, Control, Artificial Intelligence, and Robotics, pp. 163-166, 2019. (Best Paper)
- R. Chaichaowarat, J. Kinugawa, and K. Kosuge, “Cycling enhance knee exoskeleton using planar spiral spring,” in Proc. 2018 IEEE/EMBS Annu. Int. Conf., pp. 3206-3211, 2018.
- R. Chaichaowarat, D. F. Paez. G., J. Kinugawa, and K. Kosuge, “Passive knee exoskeleton using torsion spring for cycling assistance,” in Proc. 2017 IEEE/RSJ Int. Conf. Intelligent Robots and Systems, pp. 3069-3074, 2017.
- R. Chaichaowarat, W. Wannasuphoprasit, “Optimal control for steady state drifting of RWD vehicle,” in Proc. 7th IFAC Symposium on Advances in Automotive Control, pp. 814-820, 2013.
- R. Chaichaowarat, W. Wannasuphoprasit, “Two dimensional dynamic model of drifting vehicle,” in Proc. 7th TSAE Int. Conf. Automotive Engineering, 2011.
- Keynote speaker of the 2nd Tohoku University Seminar for Social Benefits in Thailand, in the topic “Wearable robots for the future aging society”, Bangkok, Thailand, 2019.
- Conference secretary of the 1st UNITED – Southeast Asia Automotive Interest Group (SAIG) International Conference, Bangkok, Thailand, 2021.
- Invited reviewer for the IEEE/ASME Transactions on Mechatronics (T-MECH), the IEEE Robotics and Automation Letters (RA-L), the KSAE International Journal of Automotive Technology (IJAT), and the International Journal of Robotics and Automation (IJRA).
- Invited reviewer for the IEEE Int. Conf. Robotics and Automation (ICRA), IEEE/RSJ Int. Conf. Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS), the IEEE/ASME Int. Conf. Advanced Intelligent Mechatronics (AIM), the IFAC Int. Symposium on Advances in Automotive Control (AAC), and the SAE Intelligent and Connected Vehicles Symposium (ICVS).